To anyone, including myself, who has ever experienced this, you know that it is a nightmare to replace everything in your wallet. If this happens, you will need your birth certificate and/or social security card quickly. Make sure you have copies of those tucked away for just such occasions AND dont carry these forms of ID in your purse/wallet/briefcase.
After you have verified that the wallet/purse/credit card, etcs gone, here are some steps to take quickly:
- NOTIFY YOUR LOCAL POLICE: Someone may find it and turn it in (this happened recently with my debit card!) and the police station would be the likely place. You also want to establish a record of your loss for future identity issues.
- CALL ANY AND ALL CREDIT CARD COMPANIES AND BANKS: This is a good time to mention that it is VERY helpful to have a separatecopy of ALL cards/information youcarryin your wallet. Simply take a copy of front and back of all cards so that you arent sorting through old bills or trying to do this on-line. Keep this list in a safe place, obviously not with you. Cancel all cards and request that new accounts be opened and new cards be issued. Keep a call log list of dates, times and people with whom you speak.
- NOTIFY THE DIVISON OF MOTOR VEHICLES: You need to notify them of a missing/stolen drivers license. This piece of identification contains a lot of information about you and you want to prevent anyone from using this ID.
- CONTACT ALL OTHER COMPANIES: Insurance company, student ID, company ID, passes, tickets, etcgain, keeping a copy of these will help you know who and how to contact the companies.
- NOTIFY CREDIT BUREAUS: Place a fraud alert with all three credit reporting agencies to prevent someone from opening an account in your name. This alerts any companies that check your credit that your information has been stolen and they must contact you by phone to authorize the new credit:
Trans Union 1-800-680-7289
Social Security Administration Fraud Line 1-800-269-0271
Experian (formerly TRW) 1-888-397-3742
–Kelly A. Willis, Esq.